An organization should operate like a city. Some parts emerge bottom-up while others are designed top-down. The art of management is finding the right balance between these two approaches. This module is about organization design.
What will you learn?
- The relationship between the value created by an organization and how the organization is organized and why there is no perfect organizational design.
- Advantages and disadvantages of organizations organized as hierarchy or network.
- Why and when would you choose for specialization or generalization of co-workers?
- When to focus on efficiency or effectiveness as an organization plus the pros and cons.
- The advantages and disadvantages of centralization and decentralization in an organization.
- Should an organization focus on exploitation or exploration.
- Organizational practices like double linking, big room planning, open allocation, and semi-stable teams.
Organizations which design systems are constrained to produce designs which are copies of the communication structures of these organizations.Conway’s Law, Melvin Conway
What will we discuss in this module?
- Is a Management 3.0 mindset always connected to a network or hierarchy type of organization?
- Can co-workers or teams be involved, and how much, in deciding on new organizational structures?
- What is true agility in an organization, when is an organization really agile?