An organization should operate like a city. Some parts emerge bottom-up while others are designed top-down. The art of management is finding the right balance between these two approaches.
In which ways do organizations need to achieve structural balance?
- Hierarchies versus Networks
- Specialization versus Generalization
- Efficiency versus Effectivity
- Centralization versus Decentralization
- Exploitation versus Exploration
What are common patterns for balancing organizational structures?
- T-Skilled People
- Value Units
- Small Teams
- Semi-stable Teams
- Replace Job Titles
- Communities of Practice
- Open Allocation
- Double Linking
- Team Number One
- Local Rules