Teams cannot achieve their goals if team members aren’t capable enough. To combat this, managers must create an environment of continuous learning, thus contributing to the development of competence.
Individual competence development
- Lead by example: Commit yourself to your own personal mastery. Lay the seed for a learning culture. Help create a learning organization.
- Encourage and enable self-study: Give time, resources and room.
- Training and certification: By itself a certificate doesn’t mean anything but it can catalyze all other competence measures.
- Coaching: Hire external coaches. Develop internal competence leaders.
- Learning from failure/experiments: It is important to celebrate learning in safe environments.